Monday, September 28, 2009

you got 10 seconds


I received a call a few days ago from a desperate client, she was going to attend her first professional referral exchange meeting and she honestly didn't know what to say.I asked her how many seconds or minutes she had to tell the group all about her services. She said..."I think 30 seconds!"I replied..."Cool... but lets make it 10!"There was a moment of silence and I really thought maybe she hung up on me."Did you say 10?"... she spurted out.I explained to her that 10 seconds is all she needed to capture the attention of the audience.I could tell she was nervous.So we practiced.Oh, by the way she's a real estate professional.She started out, "Hi I'm Suzy and I sell houses!"I wanted to sream.... "BORING" as loud as I could but, being the nice guy I am I said well, I think you can do better.I suggested, that she think of it as if someone was standing next to her with a gun to her head ready to pull the trigger and the gunman was giving her 10 seconds to sell herself or she asked if I could tone it down she was already feeling the pressure.Okay... I surrendered & recommended that she take a different stand and come at from all angles.I told her that although she was a real estate professional - the whole "I sell houses" has been done to death.How 'bout "I market the American dream, homeownership," I replied.We then went on to fill in the 10 second commercial she needed. (Although we had a enough material from our 1 hour consultation - that she probably could have spoken for a good 10 minutes).If you were given 10 seconds to come up with a truly unique way of selling your service that gets people to want to know more, how would you approach it.I ended up tagging along with Suzy to the referral exchange meeting and when it came time to introduce myself I explained,..."Entrepreneurs hire me to kick them in the backside!"Jaws dropped and eyes popped opened, the audience was now staring directly at me and I had their full attention.Always be prepared to change the rules!

Original :: you got 10 seconds


No comments: