Sunday, June 6, 2010

ramble on and rumble your way out of a


In the last few weeks, I have had the pleasure of listening to many people talk about their startups. The enthusiasm is there, the excitement for the world next great idea. They have that evangelist spirit and for all intent want me to share in their joy. So how come I find my mind wandering and unable to focus on this joyous rant?1. There is no clean message that takes me on a linear path from no understanding to complete curiosity.If you want my attention, please start with something compelling, and then engage me. If you go into every little story as to why you did this, and what led to that...look it was your journey and one day, several years from now, tell it to CNN.2. The engagemenis overpowered by the need to speak.Just because you care about something, does not mean it is important to me. Once you get me with something compelling, and I become curious, please let me get involved in the conversation. If you interrupt my questions, argue with me, say No or But a lot, or frankly just make me feel like you think I am dumb, you are as annoying as this 50+ word sentence (Which I wrote this way on purpose just to make a point; try and say it all in one breath). This is how I feel when you have to get all your points in before checking if they are important to me. After all, you either want me to buy in, buy it, sell it, or speak on it, right? Perhaps you should get me on your side?3. Listening to constructive feedback is not a requirement to the misguided evangelist.When you bring ideas to market, at some point you must stop listening to advice for the sake of launch. Once you launch, please listen to smart people who share good ideas. Even if you never do anything with it, JUST LISTEN! Even if you do not agree, JUST LISTEN! When you argue, or doubt, you leave great ideas on the table. I cannot tell you how many times I have not listened to what my wife was suggesting, because, well I was mad and what does she know anyways? Well, most of the time she knew exactly what I should do, and I usually wasted 24-48 hours before I realized she was right.So many great ideas end up drowning in the heavy seas of over abundant explanations. So many creators lack the pointed sentences to create the pictures of their brilliance in the listener's mental eye. This month on my blog I have focused on messaging, and it is important to know how to say what you want to say. Here is a link to those posts:

Original :: ramble on and rumble your way out of a


No comments: