Sunday, June 6, 2010

elephants or pygmies in sales which


I used to work at IBM. Itty Bitty Machines, I've Been Moved, I've Been Misled or many other acronyms those of us who worked at IBM came up with. (Actually, I loved it. But, don't tell IBM).While I was at IBM I met an extraordinary individual. His name is David Goldstein. David is a loyal 36+ year employee of IBM. During our time together at IBM, David and I became close. Very close.Initially when I started in sales in IBM, I had a tendency to chase the "BIG" deal or the elephant. I would chase these large deals and not look at the smaller one. Those deals were obviously for someone who could NOT close the big deals. I did get fairly lucky and close a few elephants.As David and Ibecame closer he told me that I should focus on the "Pygmies" to feed my family and chase one elephant at a time. I will always remember that advice. It came from someone who was consistently hitting his numbers and being compensated well as a result.I have to admit that I didn't take his advice completely. I modified it a little. I did start focusing on pygmies. But, I modified David's advice to include 4 elephants in my pipeline at a time and managed those accounts slowly but surely. This advice along with the modification paid me very well during my IBM career and I have modified it to work in my career as an entrepreneur.You're challenge is to determine which are pygmies and elephants and work them accordingly.Here is some critical advice.Pygmies can be closed within the quarter.
Elephants can take 6 months to years.
Only allow 4 elephants in your pipeline at a time. It ensures focus.
Delegate any additional elephants and you and company will be thankful for it.
Use this information to separate your pygmies and elephants and watch your paycheck go through the roof.I can firmly say that you should fill your pipeline with pygmies and include 4 elephants at a time to ensure that you eat while you are shooting the big prey.

Original :: elephants or pygmies in sales which


No comments: