Friday, October 8, 2010

The New Selling Mindset You Dont Have To Hate Selling

Why I Hated To SellI've had to sell from time to time in my professional career.My first sales job was selling computers. I didn't have any sales background. They'd hire anyone back then. But I loved computers so it seemed like something I could learn to do.Turned out it wasn't so easy. Especially when it came to making a "cold call". I think everyone hates cold calling.At least I did. I don't anymore.Why?Because I learned to change my mind set.Why Do People Hate To Sell and Cold CallI don't think anyone really wants to bother or impose on other people. We don't like it when someone bothers us to sell us something after all. So we assume others feel the same way.When someone tries to sellus something we immediately put up the wall - or worse... Sometimes we lie or find some excuse to put off the "pitch."Send me some information. I'm not in charge of that. or... We already have someone for that.These are some of the typical "lies" we use when someone tries to pitch us.We See It Coming NowAnd we can always see it coming right?When someone says on the phone... "I'm Joe Smith from XYZ Company" we immediately know were going to get a pitch. We've learned from hundreds of people starting the call exactly the same way what's coming next.And those lame pitches we get...The salesperson just talks about how cool their company is. They overwhelm with features and technical jargon without ever saying why it might be important to me.I can smell their commission breath a mile away.It's About Them StupidAll anyone cares about is what you can do for them. If you focus on benefits then you just may be able to get someone's attention.People don't want to know how great you are. They want to know how great you're going to make them.But...You've got to do it humbly and gently. You've got to do it respectfully and on their terms.Ask For PermissionAnd don't forget to ask permission every step of the way."Would you be open to some new ideas about securing your home?" "Would you mind if I shared some information about the condition of your water?" "Where do you think we should go from here?"How I Learned To Love To Cold CallCold Calling doesn't bother me anymore.Why?Because I truly don't care if I make a sale of not. My intention is to try and help someone solve a problem.I always start with something like "Are you open to some ideas that might help solve your problem?"If they say no... then I just move on.Want some more ideas on the new selling mindset? Take a look at this website.

Original :: The New Selling Mindset You Dont Have To Hate Selling

No comments: